Thursday, July 3, 2008

half right

I don't do alot of driving anymore, but I do spend some time on the roads. My first vehicle was a 125 cc Honda motorcycle so I am hyper-sensitive when it comes to driver distractions. I think people should be paying attention when they are 'in control' of any device that can harm people. Every time I go out on the roads I see drivers who are inattentive; cell phones, french fries, eye shadow, kids, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, the list goes on. Twice I've been run into by drivers while my vehicle was stationary. Countless times I've had to dodge people who are off in their own world and neglect to check a mirror or signal.

It looks like California is cracking down on cell phone use while driving.

www.dailynews.com
I'm reading this article and thinking "Hmm, they have a good idea here. This might work." Apparently, (I haven't looked up the exact legal wordage of the thing yet) drivers are required to use hands-free devices for cell phones. Seems pretty straightforward. Additionally, some people are looking forward to insurance rates going up for repeat offenders. Again, seems like a good idea. I start to think, "Wow, someone out there has got their act together."

I'm so stupid. I hate optimism, its such a tease.


While drivers can't hold a phone to have a conversation, they still are allowed to touch it or dial to make or take a call, said Tom Marshall, spokesman for the CHP.

Text-messaging also is still allowed for drivers over 18
I want to cry.

No comments: